Nicholas, son of Andrew Lloyd Webber, has stomach cancer
Andrew Lloyd Webber will stay by his eldest son’s side amid his battle with stomach cancer.
famous composerHe revealed that Nicholas Lloyd Webber, 74, had been battling the serious illness for more than a year in a statement obtained by Page Six over the weekend.
“I am shocked to say that my eldest son, Nick, is in critical condition,” the EGOT contest winner wrote.
“As my friends and family know, he’s been battling stomach cancer for the past 18 months and Nick is now in the hospital.”
The “Phantom of the Opera” composer said he will also miss the opening night of his new Broadway musical “Bad Cinderella” in New York City on March 23 due to health concerns for his son.
The show has recently moved from London’s West End.
“So I wasn’t able to attend the recent previews of ‘Bad Cinderella’ and as things stand, I won’t be able to cheer on the amazing cast, crew and orchestra on opening night this Thursday,” Andrew continued.
“We’re all praying Nick will turn the corner. He fights bravely with his indomitable sense of humor, but for now my place is with him and the family.”
Bad Cinderella team too Share statement via Twitter Saturday in the wake of the sad news.
“The cast and crew of Bad Cinderella send their love, thoughts and prayers to Andrew and the Lloyd Webber family,” the tweet read.
Nicholas, whom Andrew shares with ex-wife Sarah Hugill, has been following in his famous father’s footsteps for many years.
He scored the BBC One series “Love, Lies & Records,” along with “The Last Bus,” and was even nominated for a Grammy after scoring the original cast of “Cinderella” in 2021.
The composer previously revealed that he dropped “Lloyd Bit” from his surname in an effort to judge him on his merits.
“For a long time, I left Lloyd Bit—to see the reaction, ‘Heh he told the Times in 2011.
I got some stuff on the radio, so I thought, ‘Okay, obviously I’m not completely stupid. And then I thought, ‘Wait, if there are other people willing to work with me without the title, maybe I should stick with it.'”
The sad news comes a few months after the Post revealed an exclusive about “The Phantom of the Opera,” The longest-running show on Broadway, it will be the curtain drop for the last time in 2023.
Multiple sources have said that Andrew’s musical will run through the holiday season and end on February 3. 18.
Since opening in January. 26, 1988. The huge musical, produced by Cameron Mackintosh and the Andrews Really Useful Group, has played over 13,000 shows over 35 years on the Great White Way.
Due to demand following the shock announcement, the offer will now expire on April 16, 2023, eight weeks after the originally announced closing date.