Miami Beach has a spring break curfew after fatal shootings over the weekend
Miami Beach, Florida. – In what appears to be an annual spring break rite of passage, Miami Beach officials are imposing a curfew after two fatal shootings and rowdy crowds this weekend.
The statement said that two separate shootings Friday night and Sunday morning on the famous Ocean Drive that left two people dead and “excessively large and undisciplined crowds” led to the decision. City officials did not provide further information when contacted by USA TODAY Sunday.
This is the third year in a row that the vacation destination has been based in South Florida More than 81,000 residents And the traditional favorite between Spring Break has declared curfews and a state of emergency.
last year, The city imposed a midnight curfew after the shooting which left five injured. In 2021, there were more than 1,000 arrests and dozens of guns confiscated during the tumultuous spring break This led Miami Beach officials to order an emergency curfew.
these years curfew It starts at 11:59 p.m. on Sunday and runs until 6 a.m. on Monday. Another curfew is likely to be imposed from Thursday through Monday. March 27th. Miami Beach Mayor Dan Gelber He said the city committee has scheduled a meeting for Monday afternoon to discuss further measures.
We don’t want spring break in our city.
in video message “The two shootings were among visitors to Miami Beach and did not involve residents,” the mayor said, which was published Sunday.
Gelber said police have seized about 70 weapons over the past three weeks. In addition, the mayor added that the huge crowds and the presence of many weapons “created an uncontrollable danger, especially in the evening,” despite a heavy police presence.
“We don’t ask for spring break in our city. We don’t want spring break in our city. It’s too noisy, it causes too much chaos, and it’s simply too difficult to police,” Gelber said.
Added Gelber, who apologized for the “inconvenience and disruption.”
Nothing new in spring:Miami Beach declares a state of emergency and curfew after a series of shootings on Spring Break
Miami Beach Spring Break Curview Wars:Florida spring breakers forgot there was a pandemic, says the mayor of Miami Beach
‘Enough is enough’
in s Post on Twitter early SundayCommissioner Steven Meiner said he has asked the mayor to schedule an emergency committee meeting.
“Today we need to take action, including enforcing a curfew in South Beach,” Miner said. Two people killed. Enough is enough.”
Police said the latest shooting occurred around 3:30 a.m. Sunday on Ocean Drive in South Beach. One man was shot and later died in hospital. The officers chased the suspect on foot. Miami Beach Police said on Twitter.
The identity of the victim or possible suspect has not been released.
United nations FridayPolice said one man died and another was seriously injured as crowds close to restaurants and clubs poured onto the streets after gunshots were heard. Police arrested one person at the scene and recovered four firearms. No other details were disclosed.
Under the latest curfew, people must leave businesses before midnight, though hotels can operate later only to serve their guests. Restaurants can only remain open for delivery and the curfew will not apply to people going to and from work, emergency services and hotel guests, according to a city statement Sunday.
Some roads will be closed and arriving hotel guests may need to provide proof of their reservation.
Contributing: Associated Press