Kilmarnock 1-1 St Johnstone: Drey Wright Screamer earns St Johnstone a point at Rugby Park

Dre Wright’s stunning long-range strike earned St Johnstone a point as Kilmarnock drew 1-1 at Rugby Park.

The hosts were in complete control in the first half and Joe Wright’s strike at the back post gave them the lead after Kyle Vassell had a goal ruled out by the VAR.

Kelly would be disappointed with only one goal up front at the break but the Saints improved a bit in the second half and Dre Wright curled into the bottom corner from 25 yards out to secure the tie.

At least a point was enough for the Rugby Park side to move over Ross County into 10th place, while St Johnstone remained eighth in the Premier League.

The Kilmarnock squad sheet showed three changes from the squad that lost to Inverness in the Scottish Cup last weekend. Ash Taylor, Liam Bulworth and Luke Chambers dropped out and were replaced by Jerrell Dorsett, Jordan Jones and junior David Watson, who was making his first major league start.

Saints boss Callum Davidson only made two changes as Andy Considine returned in place of Adam Montgomery and Theo Beer was given the nod ahead of Connor McLennan.

The hosts started on the front foot and Dani Armstrong tested Remy Matthews with an early free kick, which he saved to safety.

The St Johnstone goalkeeper made an even better save in the 18th minute, acrobaticly sending the ball wide after Armstrong had met a deep cross from Jones into the far corner.

The home side’s dominance continued and they thought they had taken the lead moments later when Vassell hit the crossbar after Matthews’ brilliant save.

Kelly’s celebrations were short-lived, however, as referee Chris Graham disallowed the goal after a handball against Vassell after the video assistant referee called him to the screen.

Rugby Park kept up the pressure and Armstrong had another golden chance in the 28th minute. The winger cut into the far corner to beat Matthews on a loose ball but the ball drifted wide of the left post.

Kilmarnock’s Joe Wright celebrates by scoring to make it 1-0

Kilmarnock’s pressure was eventually expressed in the 38th minute as Matthews misjudged Jones’ deep pass, allowing Joe Wright to drive home at the back post to give the hosts a half-time lead.

St Johnstone were very poor in the first period but they were better after the break. Wright had his first shot on target in the 49th minute when he palmed Sam Walker from distance and Melker Hallberg saw a shot that was momentarily saved.

Kilmarnock then appealed for a penalty with Considine and Joe Wright challenging a cross but the VAR ruled there was no handball after a delay.

The sides were struggling to create a tight second half until Dre Wright produced a magical moment in the 70th minute after Liam Donnelly was caught.

Zac Roden’s first shot was well saved but the ball fell gently to wing-back St Johnstone who touched before volleying a low shot across Walker into the bottom corner.

Kilmarnock were convinced Donnelly had been fouled and the home fans were frustrated in the 79th minute as the referees ruled a Considine foul on Armstrong was marginally out of the area.

Substitute Fraser Murray nearly won the title at the death for the home side but Matthews got a finger on his low shot with the game all but over.

What then?

Kilmarnock Return to the Scottish Premier League after the international break at home hearts On April 1st.

St. Johnstone at home to Aberdeen in the same day. Both matches begin at 3 p.m.

Source link

Show More

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button